Being in my line of work, I don’t know to many people that don’t have an animal as a companion. Pets bring so much love into our lives. If you don’t share your home with a pet, you don’t know what you are missing. If you are alone, a pet can be such a comfort, not to mention how they can give you a sense of security. Companion animals: dogs or cats can:
- A pet can give you a sense of well-being, Webster’s definition of well-being is : the state of being happy, healthy, or prosperous :
- A pet can help promote a lower blood pressure. You don’t want a serious condition that can lead to coronary heart disease, heart failure, stroke, kidney failure, and other health problems.
- A pet can decrease the chances of depression in older people.
- A pet can promote a sense of high self-esteem in older people and that makes such a big difference in their lives. I know first hand how a little red toy poodle made my mom happier then she has been in years.
- A pet can motivate a person to exercise. Go for walks, throw a ball, jog and play.