Monday, November 28, 2011

Artificial sweetener can kill dogs

There are many foods you should never give your dogs.

With the holidays here and people are baking sweet treats for friends and family, don't be tempted to treat your dog to these same goodies.

A common artificial sweetener found in sugar-free baked goods, candy, oral hygiene products and chewing gum can be deadly if ingested by a dog, the US Food and Drug Administration warns.

The ingredient, Xylitol, can cause a sudden drop in blood sugar (hypoglycemia), seizures and liver failure in dogs, which may lead to death, according to FDA. Signs that a dog may have consumed Xylitol can occur within minutes or days of ingesting the sweetener, and include depression, loss of coordination and vomiting.

FDA advises pet owners immediately contact a veterinarian or pet poison control center if they suspect their dog may have ingested the product.

When stuffing those Christmas stockings with candies and other yummy tidbits make sure to keep them out of the reach of you fur kids. Be safe not sorry.

No comments: